Welcome to the OK.gov Help Desk and FAQ Section

How To Use This Site  |  Contact OK.gov  |  Feedback  |  Live Help

The OK.gov Help Desk has multiple solutions to assist you in finding your Oklahoma government answers. Click the Live Help link above to speak online with one of OK.gov's representatives. OK.gov Live Help representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm (Central Standard Time) with the exception of state recognized holidays.

Frequently Asked Questions

You may also search for your answer in our frequently asked questions. Type the information you are looking for in the search box below.

FAQ Search Results

What is the difference between a pardon, a parole and a commutation and how is the Governor's Office involved with these? Paroles, commutations and pardons must be approved by the members of the Pardon and Parole Board before being presented to the governor for her consideration. A parole releases an inmate to the street for the remainder of his or her sentence or moves the inmate to a consecutive sentence. It does not eliminate or change the duration of the sentence. A parole always comes with certain conditions such as supervision by a parole officer, and may include conditions such as substance abuse treatment or obtainment of a GED. If the conditions of the parole are violated, the parole can be revoked, returning the inmate to prison for the duration of his or her sentence. A commutation changes the length of a sentence. For example, a 10 year sentence can be commuted to five years. Sentences can also be commuted to ''time served,'' ending the sentence and releasing the inmate to the street unconditionally. Not all paroles and commutations result in release from prison. Inmates may be paroled or commuted from one sentence to a consecutive sentence and not released from prison. A pardon is not a parole or commutation. Pardons do not clear a criminal record, but do acknowledge that someone has worked hard to become a productive, law-abiding citizen after making mistakes in the past. Those who are currently incarcerated cannot apply for a pardon and a pardon will not release you from prison. Only those who have discharged all their sentences, completed parole, or served at least five years under supervision and have no pending charges may apply for a pardon. The Governor cannot pardon federal convictions or convictions from other states. For more information about pardons, please visit the pardon and parole board's website at <a href=''http://www.ppb.state.ok.us/''>http://www.ppb.state.ok.us/</a> and through the Governor's Pardon and Parole Status Look Up at <a href=''http://www.ok.gov/governor/parole/parole_lookup.php''>http://www.ok.gov/governor/parole/parole_lookup.php</a>. For more information on expungement, visit the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's Expungement Questions page on their <a href=''http://www.osbi.ok.gov''>website<a/>.

Still cannot find an answer to your question? Please search the entire OK.gov Web site or contact OK.gov directly for assistance